Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I am Jack's Unique Definition of Fun

I've been doing some purging of my laptop and my flash drives and thought I'd post up some stuff from the past few years of training and competing. No Oly Weightlifting pics and vids but those should be coming along this summer/fall. Some of the videos may contain filthy language or men with their shirts off so tread lightly and at your own risk.

This might have been the longest minute of 2009. This is a frame carry/stone carry medley (50 ft in each direction) with the frame weighing about 500lbs and the stone weighs 250lbs.

How I didn't kill myself doing this I'll never know; 60 kg (132lb) one armed snatch



(Insert "Got Wood" joke here)

In my younger days (during and right after business school), I fancied myself one of those guys who pushes a sled down a sheet of ice at a (hopefully) high rate of speed. This is from the pushtrack at the Olympic Park in Park City UT. If you ever get the chance to go to Park City or Lake Placid, I highly recommend that you take advantage of the bobsled rides.

This is from my second ever contest in Salina KS in which I finished second in the under 200lbs class. I typically competed at 220-230 but I feel really good at 200-210 and that's where I plan to stay going forward. Extra weight doesn't necessarily equal stronger (as the guys at California Strength say "Fat Doesn't Contract") and being generally healthy is important to me. No one ever got weaker by being healthier.  

This is from the 2010 Southern California's Strongest Man contest in Huntington Beach. This is after an event appropriately titled the "Death Medley". It consisted of a 100ft farmers walk with 240lbs in each hand followed by a 50 ft tire flip with a 600lb tire and then a heavy sled drag for 50 feet. I finished 2nd in this event (3rd in the contest) and this mantastic pic ended up on the cover of the OC Register a few days later; truly my 15 nanoseconds of fame 

Despite this example, I spend the majority of my time not wearing spandex, a kilt or attempting to put myself in a wheelchair at age 30. But where's the fun in that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment